The bank was built in 1959 and designed by Melander Fugelso and Associates. When it was time to renovate the bank in April 2009, North Shore thought it might tear down the original, but Robert A. Berquist presented a plan to update the building, keeping close to the original open banking area, with two offices and more privacy.
The brick and glass structure with its many windows gives a feeling of openness. The drive-through area is now on the main level and traffic no longer blocks Superior Street on busy days.
The staff does not have to run out to sand the “hill” when it snows. Visitors should take note of the original desk and some chairs by Herman Miller that have been refinished and are in use at this time.