This year featured four fine houses and four other institutions or places of business
Kevin Prest-Berg House
2510 Woodland Avenue
Built in 1909, this basalt stone home was designedby Frederick German, a prolific and respected Duluth
architect, for the caretaker/manager of Forest Hill Cemetery but has since gone into private hands. The home has been magnificently restored to its original condition. The basalt stone for this beauty came from Bardon’s
Peak near Gary/New Duluth.
Allan King & Colleen Conley House
4109 Robinson Street
Built originally by Chester Congdon’s Lakeside Land Improvement Company in 1911
this home has been painstakingly restored including inside and out and was
a 2012 winner of a Duluth Preservation Alliances restoration excellence award.
This home is an American Four Square home with classic craftsman features.
Marty & Bill Sozansky House
2931 East Superior Street
This American Four Square was built in 1912 of the highest quality materials and includes many fine craftsman
details. The Sozansky family has lived here for years and restored nearly every inch of this massive home. Hardwood floors, amazing crown moldings, massive doors and phenomenal windows make this beauty a must see home.
Randy & Mary Zimmermann
2531 East 1st Street
This craftsman style home was built in 1909 by a lumber baron and it shows, The beamed ceiling in the living
and the massive cornice brackets make this shingle style home a beauty. Please don’t miss the secret garden
on the West side of the home. This home was built with a fantastic view of Lake Superior
and in one of the most prestigious neighborhoods of the time.
H.T. Klatzky & Associates
1511 East Superior Street
H.T. Klatzky and Associates now occupy the duplex Oliver Traphagen built for himself and which he rented to Chester and Clara Congdon while Glensheen was under construction.
Traphagen was arguably Duluth’s best known architect.
Howard Klatzky started his then fledgling advertising agency in a few rooms of the mansion and rented apartments on upper floors for many years. Now the agency is Duluth’s largest and occupies the entire structure. Howard has been a meticulous steward of the property restoring the roof with tiles
matching the original and refinishing every inch of the hardwood floors and woodwork throughout this magnificent example of Richardsonian Romanesque architecture.
21 North Lake Avenue
Norway Hall was recently restored in anticipation of the visit of the King and Queen of Norway who were
recently in Duluth to rededicate the also restored Enger Tower. The restoration efforts at the Norway Hall
make this a beautiful venue for not only heritage events, but public events such as weddings and company parties.
You’ll be mightily impressed with the attention to detail and the beautiful woodwork and hardwood floors.
Marty & Laura Weintraub — aimClear
9 West Superior Street, Suite 200
Originally, Silberstein and Bondy Department Store
This building was designed as Duluth’s most exclusive department store for Bernard and Nettie Silberstein and contain one of, if not the, first Otis elevators in Duluth. The building was designed by George Wirth in 1884.
Frederick German, who also designed the Silberstein’s home on 21st Avenue East , oversaw the addition thesecond floor in 1904, matching Wirth’s original design.
The Silberstein store remained open until Nettie Silberstein passed away in 1933.
Marty and Laura Weintraub now operate their aimClear internet marketing business from the surprisingly
adapted second floor office space. The first floor is also open as Rag Stock. The third floor is not open for tours yet, but does contain much of the original store finishes including original wallpaper and decorative tin ceilings.
Duluth Art Institute
2229 West 2nd Street
The Duluth Art Institute has been working for years to save this former Carnegie Library
from ruin most recently preserving the massive Palladian style windows in the former reading room.
The building is now used for art classes for children and adults and enjoys
local landmark status with the Historic Preservation Commission