These fine homes built between 1900 and 1934 were on our 2009 Historic House Tour on September 20th.
Hepzabah Merritt House
2105 East Second Street
Present owner: Kris Fisher
American Foursquare built in 10902
Architect: Frederick G. German
This brick American Foursquare has elaborate woodwork and its original floor plan. The original owner was part of the Merritt family which was instrumental in developing the Mesaba Iron Range. A twin version of this house was built two years later on 25th Avenue East and Second Street. The home has been painstakingly restored and the upholstery techniques used are museum worthy.
Alexander and Katherine Hartman House
2400 East Superior Street
Present owners: Duluth Woman’s Club
English Tudor built in 1900
Architect: Frederick W. Perkins, Boston and Chicago
Home of the Duluth Woman’s Club since 1936, this house features dark mahogany woodwork, a massive aquamarine marble fireplace and an open first floor plan. Before the club purchased the house it was the private residence of the Alexander Hartman family. He was instrumental in bringing electricity to the area.
Frank and Jessie McCarthy House
22725 East Sixth Street
Present owners: Quinn and Annie Carmichael
Craftsman House built in 1912
Architect: Peter M. Olsen
This house retains its original hardwood flooring, extensive dark woodwork, tall crown moldings, numerous built-ins and other original features. The original owner was a leading grain merchant. Renovations by the current owners have been painstakingly done in keeping with the original style of the home, down to period colors.
Walter Bowe House
4300 London Road
Present owner: Kurt Galchus
Italianate Renaissance built in 1934
Architect: William J. Sulivan, Chicago
Consulting Architect: Cass Gilbert
This house overlooks Lake Superior. The orignal owner owned mines on the iron Range. The three-story house, sitting majestially back from London Road on expansive grounds, features Italian marble and terrazzo flooring, elaborate moldings, ironwork, an indoor swimming pool, and a large fountain and pool with ducks.